By Aluma Aribo & Iceta Scovin
Arua/Moyo. The police in Arua on Tuesday afternoon arrested six youths who were protesting against lifting of the Presidential Age Limit.
This takes the tally of those arrested to seven since the campaigns against Age Limit started last week.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Josephine Angucia, said that: “The youths arrested had tied their heads with red ribbons and carrying Uganda flags in their hands moving in groups processing. They never notified police of their intentions to demonstrate as per the Public Order Management laws. Police patrols are going on to ensure that the public is not incited in to violence by groups of people who want to take law in to their hands and breach peace of the public.”
She added: “More are still being arrested making the figure of arrested to be six including those who printed T-Shirts in protest. Those arrested are yet being interrogated at Arua Central Police Station.”
The youths, Michael Angunda and Mr David Edema were arrested around Ozu Brothers (OB Plaza), while others at Catholic center that is about 30 meters to the central police station.
The youths were allegedly wearing the red ribbon that has since last week been worn by the opposition members of parliament who are against the lifting of the Age limit.
Last week, the police arrested Hashim Muzamil in Arua town but was later released on police bond. He was charged with inciting violence. The youths were however released last night without any charge. Muzamil has been sent to Court to face charged of inciting violence.
Angunda, a former contestant in the LC5 Chairman in last year’s elections, said before arrest that: “It is a total catastrophe for Ugandans if this constitution is amended because the youths will not in future have chance to contest for the Presidency. Why should amendments only be during Museveni’s regime and only favours him?”
Police and UPDF soldiers in Moyo prepares to block any procession by the youths after blocking TBS from hosting youths. Photos by Pariyo Patrick & Iceta.
In Moyo, the proposed radio talk show on Trans Nile Broadcasting Corporation by organisers of the demonstration flopped after the police blocked the management from hosting any show. The youths have vowed to continue joining other groups from various parts of the country to put a spirited fight against the Age limit.
The Manager of the Radio Station, Patrick Akuti, said: “The payment was done by someone on behalf of the pressure group. We are yet to discuss with person who paid the money and how to spend that money because for us it is a business. You cannot issue a receipt and cancel it at the same time and refund money even the ground is not friendly economical we might have even used the Money,” Akuti said.